For mobile users, the order of the list and the images are mixed up. We apologize for this. Hopefully Squarespace gets their shit straight in 2014.
11. ALWAYS NEW SOCKS AND UNDERWEAR - Does this one really need further explanation? Just because it's underwear, doesn't mean it is hidden. Same for your socks. Imagine that moment when you finally get to see the girl of your dreams in her skivvies. Now imagine her underwear is frayed, worn out and not nearly as white as it used to be. Yeah, she doesn't want to see that either. Keep it fresh. As for socks, I'll relay a true story. At a fitting for the Thom Browne show I did several years ago, Mr Browne himself brought me over a new pair of socks and (jokingly...I think) said he noticed the hole in the pair on my feet. It was kinda like the feeling when your parents say they're not mad, just disappointed. Lesson learned.
13. A BEAUTIFUL DAY WATCH WITH A METAL BAND - Ask a dozen people on the street for the time and chances are at least 10 will pull out their phone instead of push back their cuff. Unfortunately, a watch is more than just a time keeping apparatus. It's a way to complete your look. It tells way more about the wearer than their punctuality. Choosing one with a metal band as Mr. Ford suggests says the wearer is sophisticated yet adventurous. Keep the word classic in mind when picking one out and you won't be stuck with a monstrosity well after the trend has died. This one is neither expensive nor flashy, so it won't dent your wallet or take away from the rest of your outfit.
15. PERFECT TEETH - Eh, I know they do all kinds of discreet work to fix teeth, but some simple maintenance will go along way to making your smile shine. Unless you look like you routinely eat rocks for lunch, use the saved money on your tailor;) Ask Tom Cruise...it really take something to make someone as bats hit crazy as him look even worse.
12. A CLASSIC TUXEDO - You may only wear it bi-annually but for that one night every 700 or so days, you can be the man. Let the others experiment with comedy (Dumb & Dumber), color (dark navy is slick but takes some skill to pull off) or that formal/casual mix that doesn't really mix (no one looks good in a Chucks & Tux combo). Stick with classic black with satin lapels and a thin discreet stripe on the pants. Pair with a white shirt (ruffles need not apply), bow tie and fresh haircut. Beats the hell out of anything you wore to prom.
14. THE PERFECT SUNGLASSES - This is gonna be different depending on face shape. Sunglasses Hut has a good guide. This one qualifier will make or break the "perfect" part of this item.
Just as there is watches and suits for different occasions, there is the same for sunglasses. Just make sure you have that ONE pair in your arsenal. You know, the ones that will always be your go-to pair. For me, and icons over the years, the perfect pair are Ray-Ban Wayfarers.