I get lots of new training shit. It's my job. But it's too easy to fill up post after post of expensive shit no one really owns and has only seen through press releases or online. Most of the products featured here will be ones I have at least gazed my very own eyes upon...
Including the bag, here are 10 items that will make each trip to the gym more effective, more efficient and might even help you catch some glances on the way out the door too.
- Patagonia Fore Runner training shirt - Lightweight and Gladiodor protected...meaning you won't smell like the shirt has sat in the bag through 3 workouts, even if it has.
- H&M Functional Shorts - Because long ass basketball shorts should stay on the court. Ditto for short ass grazing runner's shorts...no one wants to see you do lunges in those.
- Adidas adizero ClimaProof Jacket - Lightweight, rolls into no space at all and good to have...just in case.
- Bands - Pull-ups, stretching, push ups...1000's of uses. Have several if possible. Available here at bgstraining.com in 2014.
- Speed rope - Not your school yard, double dutch jump rope. While lots of people talk about the benefits of heavy ropes, the light, fast ones keep you on your toes...literally.
- Yurbuds head phones - I bought the Iron Man Inspire version, and for it's price point (approx $50) , I'm very happy. And the weird earpieces aren't really that weird and they stay put which is always my problem. Plus, they're from St Louis!
- Vapur collapsable water bottle - Full of water...its full size. When done, it role down to nothing. Easy peasy.
- iPad mini with Retina - I got the 64GB version and its mainly for video usage. As a coach I use it with clients daily but like the saying goes, most things are easier said than done. With apps like Ubersense, I can record my technique and slow it down to 1/8 the speed to watch each moving part to see if its doing what it should. Worth the price alone. It won't take the place of a personal trainer but it will make their constant watchful eye less necessary (and therefore less expensive).
- Pre- and Post-Workout food - Those protein shakes that you think are basically liquid muscle? They're most likely over loaded with unnecessary sugars and probably more protein than you need. Not the case for all but an apple with peanut butter and a cup of coffee before and a some good old chicken, rice and vegetables after will give you a more nutritious fill than some whey and water.
- Filson small duffle - Filson is legendary. They've made quality goods for over a century and these duffles should last at least half that long. There are a ton of great duffles out there but these are the grandaddies. Buy one now, show it equal parts recklessness and love and not only will you have a friend for life but the refined ruggedness just may attract another life long friend...